The basics of the building were modelled in ArchiCad and imported as 3ds file. Some furniture parts were also imported from several sites as Eames Aluminium Lounge Chair (hermannmiller.com) the sofa (flyingarchitecture.com/ free stuff) and partly the Eames Plastic chair at the dining table. Other models are by me. The models are mostly made by simple box modelling - low poly and Subsurf modifier applied. Some small objects are inspired by Bertrand Benoit's work. Many objects are linked groups which helps your model better organized.
[fig 1. - fig 2.]
The floor is modelled as a simple bevelled boxes and three different material added randomly - with a slightly different texture and reflection values.
I used the same technique at the cabinet doors: I have a wood texture heavily desaturated - using hue/saturation node - and three materials with different UV's and roughness to avoid repetition. The material is very simple no bump or refmaps (yet!).
[fig 3. - fig 4.]
3. Light setup
I have two big area lights on the windows with Power:200 for the living and 150 for the kitchen and a Sun, - very low angle - slight orange colour with Power:3,00, Size: 0,02. I also had a white background, power:1 (This I didn't really want but I realized too late and didn't want to change :-)
[fig 5.- fig 6.]
I used a slightly modified Limited GI settings with 2000 samples and as I had fireflies - a lot - I used Clamp:2,00. (Which was very likely to high value so I can recommend 0,9 now!) Rendertime was aprox. 2 hours each on a Geforce GTx 560 - 2Gb video card. Also the DOF was made at render. You can see the raw render here.
[fig 7. - fig 8.]
I usually use Luminance with Reinhard '02 but now I tried Photoshop. - I opened the hdr image and turned to 8 bits - added a little of Exposure and it was OK. The original images was quite light so not too much correction needed.
It was made in Photoshop.These corrections were made:
- Small correction of brightness/contrast with curves
- Color balance Yellow/Red +10 to make image warmer (I usually find my raw renders too blueish.)
- Glow - Original layer duplicated, added a gaussian blur with radius 8, and the opacity is set to 20%. And you need to sharpen original first to balance the upper layer's blur - based on Scott Kelby's Photoshop book
- Vignetting - Original duplicated, middle of it was cut out with a marque feathered with 100-150 px and the layer set to Multiply - based on Scott Kelby's Photoshop book
- Saturation down 60-70 :-/